Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Albany Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email (as of Mar 19/24): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club

Renaissance Albany Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Renaissance Albany Hotel

144 State St Albany, New York US 12207

Renaissance Albany Hotel (0 Photo)

Renaissance Albany Hotel

As a lifetime plat I was upgraded to a large corner room. Not sure of its official description, but 1122 is worth having. There is one caveat to that recommendation, to the side of the bed is an oval window that has no blind. A bit of an oversight in my view and hopefully they will sort out a permanent solution. For my one night stay they pinned some black cloth over the window.

http://[url=https://flic.kr/p/G6trc2][img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7710/26316205963_f51c56a3f7_b.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/G6trc2]DSC_0078[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnaalex/]John Alexander[/url], on Flickr

http://[url=https://flic.kr/p/GAHYww][img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7780/26647221330_e718e2e065_b.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/GAHYww]DSC_0079[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnaalex/]John Alexander[/url], on Flickr

http://[url=https://flic.kr/p/G6KFHW][img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7726/26319376644_d5af5f8108_b.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/G6KFHW]DSC_0080[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnaalex/]John Alexander[/url], on Flickr

The evening cocktail session in the lounge was very disappointing. I'm not sure who came with the idea of raspberry and brie as fillings in filo pastry for a savory snack, but I suspect they are related to the person who invented elevator music! The lounge also has no atmosphere, maybe that is because I don't like the modern decor, but judging by the number of guests using the facility, I am not alone. When I raised the issue of the horrible "hot snack" with a manager he said the lounge has not been open long and "is a work in progress" . The guy actually working in the lounge said there have been other complaints about the evening food offerings, in particular the lack of choice other than take it or leave it.

At least the breakfast was OK, the scrambled eggs and sausages were hot although it was disappointing that there was no bacon.

One other point, there's not much in the way of bars and restaurants within easy walking distance, but the nearby City Beer Hall is OK.

Renaissance Albany Hotel

Would you like to write a review on the Renaissance Albany Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Attached Images    
Old May 11, 2016, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by johnaalex
I'm not sure who came with the idea of raspberry and brie as fillings in filo pastry for a savory snack, but I suspect they are related to the person who invented elevator music! The lounge also has no atmosphere, maybe that is because I don't like the modern decor
Actually I like raspberry & brie in pastry & often serve it as part of appetizers (it's a popular option nowadays), even though I don't like elevator music

Was the lounge decor the same as the room decor, which also appears to be modern? I agree they need to get some type of covering for the porthole window.

If you're still at the property, would you ask them what the exec lounge policy is on the weekend? Open/closed, open for brekkie only, brekkie in restaurant & if so, cont'l or full? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Sharon – I do beg your forgiveness, as I drove away from the hotel I realised I had forgotten to ask about the lounge policy at weekends. Maybe this picture of the lounge will make up for my thoughtlessness

[IMG]Name:  26892025481_e398cba225_b.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  131.8 KB
2016-05-11_07-29-15
by John Alexander, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old May 12, 2016, 11:01 am

Thanks for the pic. They're definitely going w/ the modern theme. When I have time I'll call the property & ask them what the lounge situation is on the weekend/brekkie.

My bad. Someone must have stayed here earlier in the year & did an update in the exec lounge sticky thread, as when I went to add the property I saw it already listed w/ an update from a couple of months ago:

* Albany / Renaissance Albany Hotel / CLOSED; Brekkie in restaurant (limited items; eggs, meat, potatoes, toast, coffee only); 03/15/16 update

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; May 12, 2016 at 11:16 am
Old May 12, 2016, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the pic. They're definitely going w/ the modern theme.
To be honest I find the clash of styles a bit odd. It's a lovely building and more traditional style would have suited it better IMHO.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Thought lounge was ok. Domestic Marriott lounge happy hour offerings are rarely more than barely adequate but I thought the desserts were delicious. There was a great apple tart and a triple mouse cake. Attendants were very helpful. Coffee and "hot" water were cold during evening service, breakfast and mid-day. Understandable given that the pots are not electric.

The restaurant was awful. Had a baked risotto appetizer which was over-flavored (drenched) with pesto. And salmon as well as the chicken dinners had the protein , veggies and potato "bathed" in vegetable oil. No flavor, just an oil taste on everything. Seems like the chef tried be overly creative but it ended up with a flavorless meal.

Rooms were very nicely decorated but why do hotels insist on a frosted glass door to the bathroom so the guest can't leave the light on during the night? (i guess that's why) I almost broke my foot finding the way to a strange bathroom and then couldn't turn on the light because my friend would have been woken up. Poor form.

Room had a safe which I was very pleased to find.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Actually I like raspberry & brie in pastry & often serve it as part of appetizers (it's a popular option nowadays), even though I don't like elevator music

Was the lounge decor the same as the room decor, which also appears to be modern? I agree they need to get some type of covering for the porthole window.

If you're still at the property, would you ask them what the exec lounge policy is on the weekend? Open/closed, open for brekkie only, brekkie in restaurant & if so, cont'l or full? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.
I stayed here for 1 night (a Saturday) in March and can verify that the lounge is closed on weekends.

I also concur with the poster who said that the style of the building and the style of the rooms clash. But I liked both. The room was large and comfortable, a bit too modern for my usual taste, but is well done. And the building is a classic and they did a good job restoring the lobby and public areas.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by MW147
I stayed here for 1 night (a Saturday) in March and can verify that the lounge is closed on weekends.
Presumably you received brekkie in the restaurant on the weekend? Was it cont'l or full brekkie? If cont'l, do you know if there's an upcharge to full & what it is? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:26 pm

Just completed a two-night stay here. A few reactions:

The Renaissance sits at the intersection of State & Eagle Streets, more or less at the epicenter of New York state government and Albany's historic commercial & financial main street (State), which slopes down the hill toward the Hudson river. (Note: in the early 1990s, the Renaissance occupied an entirely different, and far more modern, building one block down State St. that now serves as the Hilton.)

The building, constructed in 1927, was formerly the DeWitt Clinton Hotel, one of the swankier hotels in downtown Albany through the mid-20th century. The building underwent extensive renovation in 2015 to restore this former hotel use. Apart from the entrance on Eagle Street, which has some architectural detailing, the exterior is a fairly staid Georgian(?) brick facade. However, ...

Check-in/lobby:
The ground-floor public areas are an interesting mix of the historic original style (timbered lobby ceilings; murals of NY state history; patterned terrazzo floor in the arcade leading to State St.) and the more modern styling of the furniture/furnishings/art in the lobby & attached bar. (The latter is reminiscent of the upscale/boutiquey feel of a W or Andaz.) IMO the two harmonize well, although--as indicated by some of the comments upthread--opinions will differ.

Check-in was quick & polite, with recognition of my lowly silver status in the form of an upgrade to a Deluxe room. A minor demerit for no apparent action on the special notes I put in the reservation (see below), but this is a quibble.

Room:
We had a 6th-floor corner room. The Deluxe rooms are larger (500-600sf) than Signature.

You entered a large, and fairly empty, anteroom with the cabinet & console for the coffee machine, safe, ice bucket, etc. and the first of two full-size closets. Two wall switches at the entry let you select a blue, lavender, or light green illumination; neutral wall coverings picked up the color (esp. the electric blue). A bench for sitting & removing shoes would improve this space.

The main room had a king bed; a long counter near the foot that served as the desk & TV stand (for a very large, well-situated flat-screen); and a sitting area with couch & a couple of metal-cube cocktail tables. There was also a rather imposing floor lamp with a large cylindrical metal mesh top. Next to the couch & lamp was a second full-size closet, as well as full-length mirror.

Bathroom was spacious, with a large console/counter & a glass shower enclosure with an industrial-style sliding door hanging on a chrome rail. Apart from a few cosmetic issues & the lack of magnifying mirror, we thought the bathroom worked well. (One nit: the door separating it from the room was--as noted above--a frosted glass door hanging on a rail & not a lockable door that closes flush against a doorjamb. The result is that the bathroom is neither sound- nor odor-tight.)

Blackout shades on all four windows worked perfectly.

Overall, the room continued the very modern style seen in the lobby, but in a slightly more understated way. We thought it worked well, although (as noted above) there were some empty areas that could use a bench or additional chair to take maximum advantage of the space.

One peeve: really dirty windows, so appreciating the views of nearby streetscapes was difficult.

Also, there was no in-room directory of services/info I could find. One result is that I didn't realize until the day before departure--when I looked at the hanger on the inside of the entry door--that the hotel lets you skip housekeeping & earn 500 MR points up until the day before you check out.

Services:
There's a fitness center (but no pool) which we did not use. Weren't on club level, so can't attest to the quality of the lounge.

There's a large above-ground self-parking garage behind the hotel (accessible from Eagle St.). At $22/day, this is probably a necessity on weekdays. You can freely badge in/out with your room key during your stay.

Nearby points of interest:
Downtown Albany is full of interesting 18th-early 20th c. buildings, including the State Capitol, the Albany City Hall (designed by Henry Hobson Richardson), and numerous historic churches, banks, hotels, and other buildings within a five-minute walk.

Behind the hotel and one block down the hill is the excellent City Beer Hall in a beautiful 1903 office building. Highly recommended for brunch, dinner, or one of their many craft beers, especially if the weather permits sitting on the deck in the back.

Miscellaneous:
I put some special requests (e.g., extra pillows & a note about our wedding anniversary) in the notes section when making the reservation, but that seemed to go unnoticed.

In sum, I'd give this property a solid A-. A few omissions here & there, but nothing that would deter me from happily returning.

Last edited by beltway; Jun 12, 2017 at 7:31 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I was here a Friday to Saturday night. Lounge was closed. The Platinum breakfast was a 20$ per person (so 40$ total) on anything you want from the menu in the restaurant. We ordered egg benedicts, fruits and sausages/eggs/potatoes, everything was excellent. The total was over 40$ but we actually did not paid anything.
As a Plat we were upgraded to a large Executive room on the top floor. The room was very nice, the only drawback was the bathroom sliding glass door, as said before.

Overall, a very good use of a 1-5 free night certificate.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:43 pm

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:00 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 5/17 - 5/18

Location: The hotel is as downtown in Albany as you can get and therefore if you have to be down here, perfect. Literally across the street is the New York State Capitol, a block away is Empire Plaza and its excellent history museum. State Street is nearby so there are plenty of places to eat and drink. The airport is a $24 Uber ride away and the Amtrak station is about $10. Parking is a bit of a pain around here if you have a car though.

Hotel: Like many Renaissances, you never know what kind of hotel you're going to end up with. In this case its a historic brick building in a really good state of repair. The lobby is gorgeous and has a lovely looking bar and restaurant. Sadly said bar is not very big so if the hotel is full the bar gets full and it's really noisy. There is apparently an executive lounge but it was closed on the weekend so I didn't see it

Check In: Quick and efficient which is what I'm looking for at nearly midnight. The agent gave me a breakfast coupon for the morning and sent me on my way.

Room: Again with Renaissances you never know what your room will look like either. The design of this one was really odd. I liked having lots of space and it was nice having a couch and desk but a TV in the center of the room that swivels 360 degrees is bizarre. However, overall I liked the room. Large, comfortable bed, big bathroom with really nice shower, kitchen area near the door, SmarTV with free HBO GO on it, outlets near the bed.

Breakfast/Other: I was given a voucher for $20 towards the menu. The most expensive entree was $16 and most were $14 so eggs benedict, coffee and orange juice was covered. The food was quite tasty and service in the restaurant good. I was also able to get a 4 PM Checkout.

I was very impressed with this hotel. If I have to be back in Downtown Albany I'll gladly stay here again.
beltway likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by CMK10
Stay Report - 5/17 - 5/18

I was very impressed with this hotel. If I have to be back in Downtown Albany I'll gladly stay here again.
I don't really have much to add to CMK10's spot on review. In fact, our room looked to be identical to the posted photos. Our bathroom had a slightly larger, different layout. One note, the attached garage self parking was $25, but as a Titanium (and I will assume Plats would get it too) the fee was reduced to $17.

We used this hotel as a 1-night stay before heading up to Saratoga for a couple nights - we only had a quick drive there the next morning. We took the $10 F&B credit as the PAG and had a drink at the hotel bar where I enjoyed a lovely glass of French Rose And as noted, breakfast in the restaurant was more than covered by the $20 voucher, and it was quite good besides!

FYI. City Beer Hall had some live music going in their outside beer garden and we had great burgers at The Hollow - the surf and turf burger with butterflied shrimp and a remoulade sauce was delish! All walking distance from the hotel.

I would definitely stay here again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.